Ask the Swan Specialist

Re: White swan appeared in our front yard
By:The Regal Swan
Date: 14 February 2016

Hi Lisa:

The swan needs to be captured and placed in a rehabilitation center for the winter or until the weather warms and the pond thaws. This means you will need to contact a wildlife/waterfowl rehabber or rehabilitation center in your area to capture and house the swan.

Now, having said this, you need to be careful. In some states, state and federal wildlife officials will kill the swan and not allow the rehabilitation center/rehabber to save the swan. The reasoning is that they are falsely accusing Mute Swans of being invasive and non-native (both misrepresentations) so that they can remove/kill/control the Mute Swan population to introduce the larger Trumpeter Swans for Trophy Waterfowl hunting purpose.

If the rehabbers can help without losing their license or killing the swan, this would be the best answer. If you leave the swan alone, a predator is going to attack it because it cannot protect itself on the grass. Please let us know how this situation progresses. Hopefully, you can find someone that can bring it indoors until the weather warms and return it safely back to its pond. The Regal Swan

Messages In This Thread

White swan appeared in our front yard -- Lisa -- 14 February 2016
Re: White swan appeared in our front yard -- The Regal Swan -- 14 February 2016