Ask the Swan Specialist

Re: Injured swan
By:The Regal Swan
Date: 19 January 2017
In Response To: Injured swan (Judy)

Hi Judy

He knows that he is injured and out of commission and is probably not going to get near you. You need to go to him by getting a couple of kayaks and herding him into an area that he can be captured, preferably on land into some shrub or a corner of a building which he cannot escape or run into something and get hurt. If he can fly, then all bets are off.

You might see if there is a local wildlife facility or zoo that might have some individuals experienced in waterfowl/wildlife rescues that might be able to assist. You might also ask around to see if a local veterinarian might be at the site of the rescue. (Get publicity and ask for assistance, and you'll be surprised who shows up to help). Most vets and the public will help out for kindness to wildlife.

You do need to get the rope off quickly because it can strangle the limb cutting off circulation or cause it to get snagged on something and cause further injury. Once he is freed, you need to have him checked by the veterinarian to ensure the limb is okay, there is no laceration requiring antibiotics, rest or other treatment. We hope this info is of benefit. Please let us know how this situation progresses. The Regal Swan

Messages In This Thread

Injured swan -- Judy -- 19 January 2017
Re: Injured swan -- The Regal Swan -- 19 January 2017