Ask the Swan Specialist

Re: Purchase of Mute Swans in South Carolina
By:The Regal Swan
Date: 31 January 2017

Hi Jared:

We would suggest Bob Knox, Knox Swans and Dogs, 847-875-3947. He will provide you with a fair price, ship the swans, provide any information you request and more importantly, provide the records of the swans (i.e., health, gender, pinioning, etc.) purchased. We know of no one in your immediate area that will provide you with swans that also have such inclusive records.

Also, on another note, you may need to have a swan ownership permit as well as a breeder's permit (since you are getting opposite gendered swans and they can produce offspring) from your state. Many states are now requiring this licensing for Mute Swans as they want to kill all of them so they can introduce the larger Trumpeter Swans for Trophy Waterfowl hunting purposes. So, please check with your state prior to purchasing the swans or you may have to return them and/or possibly face a fine for importing them into the state.

Additionally, you will need to build a pen (1/2 on water and 1/2 on land with no steep banks or rocky substrate) with a feeder inside on both ponds. The pens will need to be enclosed top to bottom so that predators cannot access the swans. The swans will need to be kept in the pens in order for them to get acclimated to the habitat, you and the feeding system for at least two weeks. Otherwise, the swans may walk away from your pond as they are not familiar with the new habitat. The Regal Swan

Messages In This Thread

Purchase of Mute Swans in South Carolina -- Jared -- 31 January 2017
Re: Purchase of Mute Swans in South Carolina -- The Regal Swan -- 31 January 2017