Ask the Swan Specialist

Re: Cygnet that can't fly
By:The Regal Swan
Date: 29 October 2015
In Response To: Cygnet that can't fly (Terry)

Hi Terry

You need to call a wildlife rehabilitation center or an avian/waterfowl veterinarian to have the swan examined. South Carolina may have a rule that vets can't treat Mute Swans, but we don't think so. The DNR may not help but a Waterfowl sanctuary/rehab center may be able to help. As long as he is eating and just can't fly, he can possibly stay with no problems as long as you don't have alligators or a pond that may freeze. You might look around to see if it can be looked at by a veterinarian without euthanasia and then put him on a private farm with a pond or a private pond. If you cant find anyone, please contact us again and we will see if there is another way of helping. The Regal Swan

Messages In This Thread

Cygnet that can't fly -- Terry -- 29 October 2015
Re: Cygnet that can't fly -- The Regal Swan -- 29 October 2015